This vacancy is closed
Application Deadline: 1st of May 2022
Possible start date: 1st of July 2022
Duration: 1+ years,
Job location: Agro Business Park 10, Wageningen
Bruto monthly salary: starting from €2.520 gross per month depending on experience (with possible bonuses; part-time appointments are possible)
Job type: media campaigns, multimedia production, event management and support
Fields: communication science, graphic design, multimedia
Employer: OpenGeoHub foundation
OpenGeoHub foundation is a not-for-profit research foundation with headquarters at the Agro Business Park, Wageningen, the Netherlands. We aim to become world experts in producing global and regional spatial predictions of soil, vegetation and climatic variables. For this, we use high performance computing / optimisation and state-of-the-art machine learning.
We have an active role in various European projects, where we manage the communication and dissemination activities drawing on our decennial experience in organizing and hosting capacity building and networking events to encourage and connect young researchers, and most of all, to create a more inclusive scientific world!
Every year, since 2007, we have organized and hosted the OpenGeoHub Summer School, a five-day event rich in lectures, workshops and social activities to help young researchers improve their programming skills, connect them with peer networks, and to encourage them to make their research more open and reproducible. We aim especially at empowering researchers from under-represented groups (e.g. those from ODA recipient countries and female researchers). We aim therefore to improve our ability to communicate science and to reach out to a broader range of audiences.
OpenGeoHub foundation is looking for an enthusiastic and creative assistant communication officer with a focus on multimedia production, to work in close collaboration with the communication officer, and to assist in the dissemination / marketing plans for various European and international projects, as well as the organization itself. Your field of activities would cover:
- Assisting in the creation and publication of communication and dissemination materials for various European projects that deal with topics ranging from environmental science and soil health to health science and ecosystem restoration. This will include the production of newsletters, blog articles, social media posts, video and graphic material delivering key messages and updates;
- Video production with Adobe Premiere or similar, and design, implementation and publication of creative graphic materials (brochures, flyers, infographics, posts) for projects and the organization with professional graphic design software;
- Assisting in increasing the visibility and online presence of the organization through the development of a creative and targeted communication strategy. This includes market / audience research, strategy design, media relations, as well as coming up with innovative content and effective target copywriting, and monitoring and evaluation of the strategy;
- Design and implement social media campaigns (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn) and maintain / upgrade the organization’s websites through our CMSs (WordPress);
- Organizing and assisting in the implementation of hybrid and in-person (international) events, such as project meetings and conferences, science webinars and interviews; this will include hands-on activities with professional video-recording equipment, meeting and networking with a variety of actors and guests, helping in the logistics and organizational aspects;
- Proofreading articles, papers, presentations (Google Slides, Miro, Canva) and reports;
You would help manage the communication activities of large international projects that gather researchers and groups of world leaders in their fields. OpenGeoHub works closely with IIASA (Geo-wiki.org), Wageningen University (Laboratory of Geo-information Science and Remote Sensing), ETH (Tom Crowther’s Lab), The Woodwell Climate Research Center, Max-Planck-Institute for Biogeochemistry (Biogeochemical Integration Department), Institute for Geoinformatics (ifgi) / University of Münster, GFZ Helmholtz German Research Centre for Geosciences, GiLAB.rs, and many other organizations. Our clients / collaborating organizations also include: The Nature Conservancy, UNCCD, World Resources Institute, Conservation International and others.
- You have an MSc degree in the field of communication, marketing and/or graphic design; combined with a background or interest/passion in science communication or environmental campaigning would be very welcome.
- You have an excellent verbal and written command of the English language. A working experience in an international context is a plus.
- You can comfortably produce written content for copywriting: you have experience in creating website content and managing other communication channels, such as social media and newsletters.
- You have a graphic eye and enjoy producing multimedia materials (video editing and graphic design skills are highly desirable).
- You have experience using Adobe Creative and similar programmes.
- You have experience crafting effective communication strategies. Having experience for a company or a not-for-profit organization is a plus!
- You are available to support the organization of events and are open to learning to use video cameras and other equipment (no experience needed).
- You are available to work full time (38 hours) in our offices in Wageningen (in presence).
- You are a team player, and enjoy working in close collaboration with colleagues.
Note: for non-EU citizens the Dutch Immigration rules from 2022 need to be studied in detail before a work visa application can be requested.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Questions regarding this position can be directed to Valentina Delconte, email: email@example.com
Applications, including: (1) a CV, (2) a statement of your interest in one of the following formats: PDF letter OR PDF presentation, and (3) self-assessment based on the minimum requirements, should be uploaded via this link. Please prepare all admin documents as a PDF before starting the application.
We offer a full-time position for 1 year, with possible extension, within a very stimulating international innovation and research environment. You will work in a dynamic work environment with enthusiastic colleagues usually from a variety of countries.
- Starting salary will be: €2.520 gross per month with possible bonuses;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary;
- Minimum of 29 holidays if in full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs;
We strongly encourage a high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with other colleagues. Flexible working (start and end) times are an option.